Saturday, October 30, 2010

Oilstone Box

Feel a bit improved compared to tool box while I am working on oilstone box but also realized that I have a long way to go.


It was not that hard to cut plank into individual size but I made a mistake with 620 length cut plank.

We all know that we should go on buzzer first to make right angle before processing in any other machine. But I went on thicknesser first, and thus I got this twisted plank with planned size. So I did buzzer later to get right angle and this got me 1 mil short plank in its width.


Chiseling in depth.


I think it took me almost 70% out of whole working time with boring. Boring bits with big diameter gives quite fast processing time with more chiseling parts. So I think, more boring (with small diameter) gives less chiseling and quite comfy to me.

And the other problem was irregular shape of oil stone which is quite different from its original size in plan. It was more like trapezoid shaped and this led to more processing time.

And processing smooth hollow curve at the bottom was not easy at all.

First, I had to calculate how deep I can go down there to top to avoid confrontation with oil stone rest. Easy part.

But band saw and spokeshaver(a kind of plane for smooth curve processing) part was not easy part at all.

It was hard to control and cut following the line on the board and unfortunately, band saw blade was broken while I was working on it. So I had to wait until Chris got it replaced and we had a chance to learn how to replace it.

Here's band saw blade replacement video for your information.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH4P28hxl-s&feature=player_embedded>


Band saw blade replacement direction. After band saw cut, I did spokeshave but it gave me no cut at all and the reason was that band saw cut was more like a straight line which is not proper for the tool, spokeshave. So I had to chisel again to make smooth curve.

Then I used spokeshave to make it more smooth.

Look! Much better than before,huh?



This is simplified cost projection of oil stone box and table below explains how it came out.

No comments:

Post a Comment