Monday, July 11, 2011

Project Management - Open Project.

Technically, I think I failed to use this application. Link below is my open project file.

Rob Shaw 550 Open Project

Here are some reasons why I think I failed to use the application.

1st. MH(Men Hour) & PH(Physical Hour)
Men Hours is used for the job which can be done within a hour with one men power.(Resource - Men power). So if you could allocate more men power to the job, then the job will be done more quickly. For example, if frame joining job is 12MH job, then, it can be done within 12hours by one worker. But if we allocate 3 people on the job, then it can be done within 4hours. So, this is Men Hours.

Physical Hour is a lot different concept. No matter how many resources(Mainly men power) you allocate, job can't be done quickly. For example, steaming stripped plank for laminating, glassing resin hardening time can't be shortened with more men power.(If you could allocate different kind of resources like cooking bay, heater, high powered steamer, it could be shortened, but it still takes time)

And while I am using this application I couldn't differentiate and express these MH, PH and other resources which could affect the job schedule.(Before, I just used combination of MS Excel and PowerPoint for this).

2.I failed to allocate resources - Men Power.
Virtually men power is the only effective resources for the task. So while A, B, C resources are allocated to a certain job, then, these resources can't be allocated to another job at the same time. I couldn't even compose resources table.

So these are the main reasons that I think I failed to complete this PM application.
All you could get from the file is a list of Job & Task and its co-relation.
And this file doesn't show real progress that we built Rob Shaw 550, I composed it, thinking that if we build the boat again, how is it gonna be basis.

Thank you

1 comment:

  1. Jade you have used the openproj as I expected you to. You have laid the tasks out in a logical sequence. As this is your first managed project I did not expect you to assign labour etc.
    a well constructed file

    ReplyDelete